Thursday, July 19, 2007

Waste Mangement

Quick and Dirty

I looked at my toilet the other day, and it has an ink stamp on it, 1.6 gpf. That is 1.6 gallons per flush. I also thought about Sheryl Crow, and her proclamation on earth day that we should all wipe with only one piece of toilet paper:

“I think we are an industrious enough people that we can make it work with only one square per restroom visit, except, of course, on those pesky occasions where 2 to 3 could be required.” (link goes to her site where this quote was taken from).

I coupled this with a recent article I read about a toilet paper dispenser from Kimberly-Clark that only releases 5 sheets at a time. What is driving these people to promote cutbacks on basic hygiene products? The reason I thought of this was because the plunger was next to my toilet, and there is a process that goes into effect when using the plunger.

First, the toilet must be used, and a pile left behind. Wipe and flush (1). Even with minimal to no paperwork, the toilet is then clogged. The next thing? Another flush (2) to see if it will go down again. Then what? The plunger comes out and flush (3). Sticking the plunger into the murky depths to coax the load down and into the plumbing line commences. And another flush or two (4-5) to take care of the cloudy remainder and to ensure that the line is working properly, and then a rinse flush (6) to clean the plunger off. What do we have here? 6 flushes? 6 x 1.6 = 9.6 gallons. What if the old 3 gallon flusher was in place? 2 flushes, tops, with no plunger (for a regular load) = 6 gallons. Way to go, environmentalists, I now use more time, flushes, and water with the “water saver” toilet than I would have with the old faithful design.

Liberals have fought to keep the government out of our bedrooms through their abortion debate. Why are these same people so interested in what goes on in our bathrooms?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home